Friday, November 05, 2004

still amusing.....

My direct number at work is evidently very similar to that of the Department of Human Services here in Nashville. About once or twice a month I'll get a call from someone wanting to speak with someone from DHS.

Aside from the DHS calls, I usually get (on average) another call a month from someone whose fingers just didn't go where they were supposed to go on the keypad. (How did these people survive when they had to use an actual dial?) Since I've got caller ID on my phone, there are times when I conveniently let calls go to voice mail when I know it's a vendor I don't want to do business with. If they want to talk with me bad enough, they'll leave a message. If not, they'll eventually figure out they're being dodged.

So I'm at my desk, and the phone rings.

Voice: "Andy?!?!"

Me: "I'm sorry, who?"

Voice: "Andy! Wait, I might have the wrong number."

Me: "What number were you calling?"

Voice: "Uh, 251-xxxxx?" (Must be an intergalactic call; extra phone digit in there.)

Me: "No, this is 251-xxxx."

Here it comes, I'm waiting for it; like a hitter sits on a fastball with a 3-0 count......

Voice: "Are you sure?????"

Me: "Uh, yes sir, I'm very sure."

Voice: "Oh, OK then....."

I hang up my phone and laugh out loud.....

I'll admit that there are times when I'll mess with people. I'll make up things just to see them cock their head to the side and look at me funny. But whenever someone calls me at work with a wrong number, I'm pretty much straight-laced. Yes, I'm sure that my phone number is just as I told you.

It's good to start off a Friday morning with a laugh.....

No comments: