Tuesday, November 09, 2004

34 years ago today.....

That's the way my mom started off her conversation with my sister this morning. She does that with all of us on our birthdays.

Remember the movie City Slickers, when Mitch's (Billy Crystal) mom called him on his 39th birthday? He knew what the conversation was going to be, so he mouthed the words as his mom spoke them. Mitch told his wife that his mom talked about his age in months rather than years, like he was still a toddler. At 39 years of age, he was actually 468 months old to his mother. Moms and dads are like that as a general rule.

I remember being in first grade and knowing that I was going to have a little sister. I was excited, but I didn't really know what to expect. I'd been an only child for almost 6 1/2 years, so it was just me and the parents. I know some kids resent giving up the status of being an only child, but I never did. I had always done my own thing, playing with kids in the neighborhood, so it wasn't like I was always hanging around the house seeking parental approval. So this red-headed, 10-pound baby came into our family, and I had a sister. As she grew up she was terrorized, along with our other sister who came around 16 months later, by her older brother. Hey, it's in the rule book, go read it. That's my job! I would have been derelict in my duties had I not been mean (but in a loving way) to my younger sisters.

So here's to Devonna! I hope you have a wonderful birthday, and we'll see you tonight!

No comments: