Thursday, November 11, 2004

i need to learn to play golf again.....

Before I get to the subject at hand, let me just start out by saying that if you listen to Ray Charles' song "Mess Around" first thing in the morning, you can't help but be in a good mood. Try it sometime! (For you movie buffs, "Mess Around" is the song John Candy lip-syncs/plays air piano to in the movie Trains, Planes and Automobiles when Steve Martin is asleep in the car.)

They say that a bad day on the golf course beats a good day in the office. I've started to doubt that lately, because my game has just about completely left me. My last good round was the day after my 40th birthday, when I shot an 80. Since then, I've only played my own ball twice, and I've been in the 90's both times. The other couple of times I've played have been in scrambles, and I'm not contributing to the team all that often. That tends to get embarrassing after a little while.

The frustrating thing is that I've got new clubs, and they're not helping at all. They were exactly what I had wanted, and I got them for less than 1/2 price on e-bay. And I'm so cheap that I hate to spend money if whatever I spend money on doesn't help accomplish some kind of goal. It's as if I've wasted the money. But it's not the clubs, it's my swing. Nothing is consistent. I get over the ball, and it's like I've never struck a golf ball in my life. The times that I do hit the ball well, I can't remember what I did right so that I can repeat it on my next shot.

So if anyone out there in the Nashville area is willing to give me golf lessons, I'm willing. I'd rather not pay money, but would instead like to work out a trade. Let's say 10 lessons for me, and a wonderful 1/2 Bassett-1/2 Beagle dog for you. As the new owner of Wally, it will be just like what Cousin Eddie told Clark in Christmas Vacation when Clark received the "jelly of the month club" membership from his boss: "...it's the gift that keeps on givin' the whole year through, Clark." I dare you to even try to put a price on that.....

No comments: