Friday, November 19, 2004

it's hard to tell where you're going if you don't remember where you've been.....

I was going through some files on my notebook computer yesterday, and I came across a journal that I started writing back in March. I haven't added anything to it since back in June, mainly because I write in this blog on an almost-daily basis. But one thing I noticed from my journal was that it is much more personal than this blog. I got down to the nitty-gritty with some work struggles, and mentioned stuff that I'd never post on-line.

Looking back at stuff I wrote in March, I can see where things have improved immensely. When I read the early entries, I sound alot like Job, and I did a bunch of whining and complaining, almost to the point of begging God to just do something. As time progressed, I went from droning on and on to expressing thankfulness. Circumstances were changed, and efforts were rewarded.

I wish I could say that I consistently stuck to my hope that things would improve. There were days that I wasn't really sure. But thankfully, I didn't give up. Something inside me made me stay determined.

Things aren't perfect, by any means, but they're getting much better. And I have no doubt that there will be other obstacles down the line. But being able to look back, view past problems from "overhead", and seeing how I was able to overcome those obstacles, it's encouraging.

Knowing the terrain when you travel is extremely helpful. The bride and I stayed lost in Los Angeles years ago because we had no idea where we were 95% of the time. By the end of the week, we finally figured the road system out. At least, we figured out which exit to take for our hotel. It had to do with experience. Same goes for life. Once you've been somewhere, it's easier to know how to get there......AND how to get back......

No comments: