Wednesday, November 10, 2004

country music has changed.....

For a while, back in the late 80's and early 90's, the bride and I listened to country music. After that, we sort of got away from it. I've never been that big of a fan, having always preferred classic rock over country. For some reason, Meg has really been into country the past 2-3 years. I'm sure it has nothing to do with guys like Keith Urban and Kenny Chesney.....

Last night, after a birthday dinner with my sister, we sat down to watch the CMA's. At some point in the show, the bride said, "This sure doesn't sound like country music." I think Big & Rich were playing, and we were being amused by their midget "dancing" on stage. So I replied, "You're right, but I sort of like it." And I wasn't kidding. I like the new kind of country much better. Yeah, they'll throw in an annoying (to me) steel guitar every now and then, but I can overlook that.

The best performance of the night was done by Martina McBride. She's always so classy and nails her performances. I'd never heard the song she did, but it was beautifully written. Big & Rich were both entertaining. The Brad Paisley/Allison Krause song was very good. Sure, Shania was lip-syncing, but I don't really care. Newcomer Gretchen Wilson, who still looks a bit rough, did a great job on her song. I remember seeing pictures of her about a year ago in the local paper, and she looked like she'd just rolled out of a trailer park. She's come a long way in 12 months. Brooks and Dunn did a decent job, but they weren't nearly as good as Vince Gill.

Yep, country music is changing. But for me, that's not a bad thing. And the older I get, the less offensive it sounds......

No comments: