Monday, April 04, 2005

one man's work is another man's fun.....

I love to mow, and I'm not ashamed of it. I love the smell of a freshly cut yard. I love the look of the grass after it's been cut.

I know alot of guys who can't stand the thought of mowing. They hate wasting their time on a yard when they could be doing something else. They see it as a chore.

But I don't see it that way. I look forward to mowing every spring. True, my yard is right at 1/4 acre, so there's not alot to be mowed. I can usually do the whole yard, including any trimming and blowing off the driveway and back patio, it about 45-55 minutes. And because it takes so little time, I usually mow about every 4 days. Especially this time of the year, when the fescue is coming in and the winter rye is still growing high.

I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon in the yard. First mowing, then installing some corrugated pipe to improve water flow from a front downspout. I need to take a day off work and do some mulching, maybe early next week. In a week or so, the bride will plant some flowers around the mailbox and at various places around the house. They monkey grass is looking good, and the hosta is starting to poke its leaves out from the ground. The Bradford pears have bloomed all around Franklin and Brentwood, and their green leaves are now replacing the stark white blooms.

When I see creation rebirthing itself every year, it makes me wonder how people could ever doubt how this all came about. The fact that God's creation can cycle from life to death and back to life again isn't just a coincidence. It's part of a great story that, if you're not familiar with it, you should definitely read about it.

Before I go, let me wish my mom a Happy 32nd Birthday. You know, I've always been pretty good with numbers, but I've never been about to figure out just how my mom can be younger than me.....

No comments: