Thursday, April 14, 2005

my new best friend.....

It sometimes takes me awhile to convince the bride of things. The running joke is that I could tell her it's raining, during a heavy downpour, and she'd have to look outside to see for herself. However, if her dad told her that there were little red monkeys invading his bathroom, she'd believe him completely and call 911 to report it. Probably doesn't have anything to do with her being a daddy's girl.....

For the past several months, I've tried to persuade the bride that we "needed" a dvd recorder with a built-in hard drive. And for the past several months, she told me that I needed to wait until the price came down more. I finally said, "Look, woman, I'll do what I want, when I want!" The swelling in my left eye went down after a couple of days, and the doctors have assured me that within a few months the double vision should go away. So I've got that going for me.....

One afternoon, while e-baying, I found a great deal on a Toshiba and won it. She agreed that it was a great deal, and was fine with the purchase. The next morning, I found that the seller had suddenly become a non-registered user. This voided the sale, so I was back to my search. A week or so later, I found one through Beach Camera that was a better unit. After putting my foot down again with the bride (translated to mean "begging"), I made my purchase.

I got the unit within a couple of days, and starting playing with all the features. The advantages over vhs recording are huge. Anytime I want to record something, I don't have to look for a tape or a blank dvd. All I do is go to the TV Guide screen, scroll down to the show I want to record, and it's set. After watching the show, I can either keep it on the drive or erase it. If I want to keep it permanently, I can even edit out the commercials before burning it to a dvd. While watching the show, fast forwarding is much quicker. Also, I can watch a recorded show while recording another one. The best feature is the chase-back or time-slip feature. While watching a program, I can rewind and go to an earlier point in the show. Also, if I'm not sure that I can watch the program at a certain time, I set the unit to record. Then can start watching it, from the beginning, and skip the commercials in the process.

I'm telling you, if this thing could hang out with me and play golf, it would be a great best friend.

No comments: