Tuesday, April 19, 2005

it's just a thin piece of cloth.....

Before I started this job, I had worn a tie almost every day of my work life. In our current office environment, we have a business-casual dress code. I wear a tie about once every week-and-a-half. The rest of the time, I usually wear dress pants or khakis with a dress shirt. (I know, this is riveting stuff, and you can't wait to keep reading!)

Whenever I do wear a tie, people seem to treat me differently. I was walking through the halls in our sponsor's building yesterday, and this guy who's a higher-up with their company was suddenly very friendly to me. Then I walked a little further, spoke to a lady by asking her how she was doing, and she gives me a "fine, sir!" Later in the day, I had a couple of other similar happenings.

On an episode of MASH, Hawkeye talked about the absurdity of the tie and how future generations would probably laugh at the fact that we wore them. I have nothing against ties. True, they're not as comfortable as open collars, but they're not all that bad. When I was little, I remember seeing men out in public in suits during the day and think "Wow, he's dressed up, he must be successful!" Now whenever I see a guy in a golf shirt and khakis during the middle of the day, I think, "Yeah, he's made it in life!" It's funny how your perspective changes as you grow older.

I guess it's just human nature to want to pay special attention to those who are all clean and dressed up. But think about Christ's life while on earth. He made it a point to be around the dreggs of society. He didn't treat people different because of their position or because they wore the "right" label on their clothes. He had the ability to see past all that and into the real person. Maybe that's something everyone needs to work on.....

**Anniversary Moment of the day - the bride and I honeymooned in Hawaii at the Sheraton Waikiki. Hawaii is the most beautiful place I've ever been, and we hope to make it back there someday.

No comments: