Thursday, April 28, 2005

florida all over again.....

Apparently most of the American Idol voters must live in Florida, because Scott keeps dodging the bullet every week. Too many hanging chads, I suppose.

OK, so the guy's had a tough life. Does that qualify him to get a pass in a talent show? We keep talking at home about how Scott's receiving the pity votes. At what point will his lack of staying on key catch up with him?

Meg had a ball game last night (they won, 12-8), so I set the recorder to tape the results show. Right at about 8:30, someone in the crowd started circulating the news that Constantine had been voted off. One girl on Meg's team came running out of the dugout with a look of panic, saying "Mom! Oh my gosh, I can't believe it! No! They can't do that!!!!" Another girl said, "Anthony just keeps getting votes because of that hole in his neck!"

So we get home and decide to watch the last 10 minutes of the results show. The fact that Scott didn't even land in the bottom 3, even after singing COMPLETELY off key on Tuesday night, should be cause for concern with the producers. And Vonzell, in the bottom 3? Please......

Here's the thing - Constantine, while he isn't a pure singer, may be one of the better performers in the group. However, since this is a singing competition, I can understand that he probably wasn't going to win the whole thing. BUT Scott, after an awful "bag-packing" performance, ending up in the top 3?

I'm not really sure why I'm so surprised. This happens every year. It's a popularity vote up until it gets to the final 2 or 3. And every year, the best person from that final 2 or 3 has gotten picked. (With the exception of Ruben vs. Clay - that was probably a tie, even though Clay's gotten the upper hand since then.)

I guess I shouldn't complain. I've yet to vote this year, probably because when I've tried to vote in the past the lines have been busy. Plus, I rely on the other viewers to use common sense. Looks like that's flown right out the window.

As Constantine was singing his final song last night, Meg declared that she was going to quit watching Idol. Somehow I doubt it, because that's either the second or third week in a row she's said that.....

No comments: