Thursday, March 23, 2006

ways to tell i'm growing up.....

The bride asked me when I got in from work the other day where I'd gone to lunch. When I told her I'd eaten a sandwich downtown then gone to the library to read she remarked, "I never thought I'd see the day when you'd go to the library to read at lunch. I'm so proud of you, honey!" I felt like I'd just brought home a painting for my mom from kindergarten. Not really, I never could paint.

This got me to thinking about other things that have changed about me over the years that appear to be leading me towards maturity. Here's what I came up with:

I like to read for fun - When I started reading for fun about 2 years ago, a co-worker suggested that I start with Dr. Suess books. I had her fired. (Not really, but she did leave her job not long after that so I felt vindicated.) I've read all of Grisham's books, and Stephen Frey is another one of my favorite authors. I recently even read a biography, and I'm starting to read some more real-life things by Donald Miller. I'm a big boy now.

I actually try to eat better - This doesn't mean I always do, but I'm at least more conscious of what certain kinds of food can do to my gut. However, there are times that I see something I want to eat and eat it despite the eventual consequences to my waistline. Learning to accepts oneself is another sign of maturity. At least that's what I tell myself whenever I want ice cream.

I no longer laugh at certain sounds in public rest rooms - OK, this would be more accurately stated as "I no longer laugh OUT LOUD at certain sounds in public rest rooms".

Starting to car-shop for someone besides the bride or me - I've never done this before. Now, lest someone get really excited and think that I'm buying a car very soon, I'm simply doing research. It'll be awhile. Sort of like getting into a cold swimming pool, I'm easing myself in a little at a time because I'm not looking forward to the shock.

My musical tastes are changing - I used to listen to just one genre of music. Now it's all over the place. I love the music that Lightning 100 in Nashville and WAPS from Akron play. The oldies stations are now playing stuff that I grew up with. Country music is a little more enjoyable. Even the bluegrass ensemble from Belmont that played in the downtown library yesterday didn't sound all that bad.

Last night at about 8:30 I exhibited another character trait that proved I'm a little more mature every day. When Ryan Seacrest announced that Chicken Little was no longer going to a contestant on American Idol, I didn't get up and do a victory dance.....

No comments: