Wednesday, March 29, 2006

no, that's not it.....


I was telling a friend of mine about the funeral scene from "Elizabethtown" yesterday, and he had a story that was just as good (if not better).

It seems that a man in my friend's church had passed away. A friend of the family had been asked to sing at the funeral. When this friend met with the widow to discuss the music for the funeral, he said, "What are some songs that your husband really liked?" She rattled off a few classic hymns and then said, "But his favorite song of all was 'Jingle Bells.' I'm sure he'd want that to be sung." The friend said, "Are you sure you want me to sing 'Jingle Bells' at you're husband's funeral?" The widow replied, "Oh, yes, I'm very sure. He just loved that song!" The friend asked several more times about 'Jingle Bells', and the widow insisted every time that her husband would have wanted the song sung at his funeral.

The day of the funeral arrived, and the friend of the family is still a little hesitant to sing 'Jingle Bells' at a funeral service. But since the dearly departed would have wanted it done, he decided to go through with it.

The piano started playing, and the friend started doing a "church version" of 'Jingle Bells' - sort of slow. About the third line of the first chorus, he looked down at the widow. She had her hand over her mouth and was laughing. Laughing so hard that she was shaking. This seemed odd to the friend, but he kept singing. He looked back and the widow was still shaking with laughter. He had to look away in order to keep his concentration. The friend finished the song and the funeral service continued.

After the service, the widow came to the friend and was still laughing. The friend said, "Are you OK?" The widow said, "I am so sorry I was laughing, but I couldn't help it. Right after you started singing 'Jingle Bells' I realized that I had told you the wrong song. Then I finally understood why you questioned me so much about single 'Jingle Bells' and I couldn't stop laughing!"

Turns out the song she was thinking about was 'I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day'. I don't think that guy has sung at a funeral since.....

No comments: