Thursday, March 16, 2006

it was 11 years ago today.....

Thursday, March 16, 1995. The bride and I made our way to Centennial Hospital bright and early. By 7:00 AM, she was hooked up to all the equipment. (I kidded her that if she had gone in one day later the equipment in the room would have tripled, but since she was 29 instead of 30 on that day they were able to keep the medical machinery at a normal level.)

Family was in the waiting room waiting for their next granddaughter or niece or sister or cousin. I, however, was bedside in the delivery room, my right hand held out ready to be squeezed. At 10:56 AM, Sara Beth Stapleton was born at 6 pounds 7 ounces and (I believe) 21 inches long. One thing common during both girls' birth was that there was a Billy Joel song playing on the radio (not on CD, so it wasn't planned) when they were born. "She's Always a Woman" was playing when Meg was born, and "She's Got a Way" for Sara.

She's a mix of both parents - she may look like me and be impatient just like me, but she's tender hearted and kind like her mom. I'm trying to get her to stop growing up and older, but it's not working. But even though she won't abide by my wishes to stop getting older, I'm proud of the young lady she's becoming and I look forward to all that she's going to be.

As long as that doesn't mean that boys will be coming to our house to see her.....at least not until she's out of college.....

No comments: