Monday, March 13, 2006

outnumbered again.....

Estrogen levels were unusually high at our house this weekend. The normal female-to-male ratio is 3:1; from Friday night until Sunday morning it was 13:1. I kept a low profile and didn't talk much. I thought that was in my best interest. My role was that of pizza delivery guy, chair mover and chauffeur.

We were a host home for our church's youth weekend, Elevate, and our house was home to 9 extra sophomore girls and a just-out-of-college leader. We were grateful that we had girls because we'd heard stories about some of the boy groups not bathing during the entire weekend. (However, a family who hosted sophomore boys told us that some of the boys took more time primping than their 14-year-old daughter; one even brought a flat iron to straighten his hair. I kept thinking how hard a guy would have gotten pummeled for even claiming to own a flat iron in East Tennessee when I was 15. Different times, different times.....)

The group seemed to work well together. Everyone got along, and even those who were newcomers to the group felt welcome. We were fortunate to have the same youth leader that we had last year when we hosted, so that worked out great. (Although she may not ever be back again because of the pillow case incident.)

And the host family, despite the lack of sleep, did very well. Personally, I was grateful for the variety of snack foods. I consumed quite a bit of it in 36 hours. Time to start working on my figure for bathing suit weather....

No comments: