Wednesday, May 18, 2005

unbiased dad.....

Dads (actually parents) who have more than one child are at some time in their lives accused of loving one child more than the other. Growing up I knew that I was loved by my parents, and both of my sisters knew they were loved by Mom and Dad. Each of us had different personalities and different needs (both sisters were/are EXTREMELY high maintenance*), so we might have been treated differently but we were loved the same amount. For example, my punishments never involved taking books away from me. That would have been like punishing a fat kid by making him eat more. To Julie, take a book away and she'd be upset. Devonna? Take her crayons/art stuff away, same result. As long as siblings are treated fairly, problems in this area are minimized.

So we're on our way back home from a softball game last night, and one of our daughters said something like "I can't believe you wrote that thing about me in your blog!" This was followed by the other daughter saying "You never write about me!" And the accusations ensued.

From now on, I will be counting the references to each daughter every day. For every "Meg", there will be a "Sara". I don't know of any other way to do this. If I could put a counter up on the page to count this for me, that would make it easier for me. If anyone knows of such a counter, please let me know.

The bride and I have been blessed with two wonderful daughters, and we love them both very much. I don't ever want either daughter to think that I love one more than the other. Do we treat them differently? Yes, sometimes, but only because they have different personalities. For example, Meg likes to shop, Sara doesn't. A treat for Meg would be to take her shopping, but it would be torture to offer to do the same for Sara.

For those of you keeping score at home, that's 3 "Megs" and 3 "Saras" in today's post......


*editor's note to both sisters - this is called satire

No comments: