Monday, May 09, 2005

in the background.....



I'm the type of person who doesn't mind being out in front. I've been in several business settings over the years, both real life and simulation, where our "team" was supposed to come up with a solution to a problem. For some reason, I'm almost always the person who takes the lead and gets things going. I'm almost never the smartest or most knowledgeable person in the group. It just comes naturally to me. I don't do it to be seen, I just do it out of instinct.

Moms come from a different lot. They're more "behind the scenes" than others. They take care of the jobs that most of us either don't want to do or don't think to do. My mom was, and still is, alot like that. The kids and Dad always came first, then Mom.

My beautiful bride falls into that category, too. And it's the little things that she does that makes our daughters lucky to have her as a Mom. Like the back rubs - every night before they go to sleep. And the fact that she's there at home for them - every day when they get home from school. Plus, she's fought to keep the dog around, despite how I have felt about him, mainly because the girls love Wally.

Numbers were released last week from Salary.com stating that "today's 5.4 million stay-at-home moms would earn $131,471 in annual salary, including overtime pay, if paid in cash in addition to the steady flow of rewarding hugs and kisses from their children." Thankfully, the bride doesn't ask for a salary, because she knows I ain't got 'dat. But if I know her like I think I do, she isn't looking for pay or any special recognition. I think she would just as soon have some hugs and kisses from her girls, with maybe an occasional "I love you, Mom" thrown in for good measure.

It doesn't have to be Mother's Day for you to tell your mom how much she means to you.....

PS - the picture above was taken last July in North Myrtle Beach, just before coming back home. I have hundreds of family-related pictures on my PC, but very few of the bride. She won't stand still whenever there's a camera out.....

No comments: