Thursday, May 19, 2005

from side-splitting to eye-rolling.....

I can remember that when the girls were younger it was much easier for me to be funny around the house. What would have been funny years ago now embarrasses them. Ray Ramano used to talk about jingling car keys in front of his children and getting rave reviews from them.

I started thinking about things that I've done around the house over the years and decided to compare the reactions of the girls now and then.

Raspberry on the stomach

Then - Hysterical. Always a crowd pleaser. I had the ability to make them laugh until they cried.
Now - Even though they'd probably have urine-inducing laughter from this, it just wouldn't be cool.

Playing "hot potato" while reading the newspaper

Then - Funny at first, then even funnier the fifth, sixth and seventh time.
Now - I'm sure I'd get that "we need to put him in a home" kind of look.

Kidding them about a "boyfriend"

Then - Red face at first, then hilarity would ensue .
Now - I make the comment and run. I don't even wait for the reaction.

Dueling remotes (changing channels with one remote while they hold the other remote)

Then - Very entertaining, especially when done from another room.
Now - I don't dare try. Why, Meg might miss 3 seconds of "Dawson's Creek" and Sara could possibly be interrupted from seeing a "That's So Raven" for the 9th time.

However, there's one gag that works every time. It doesn't matter how old they get, it still kills every time: anything having to do with gas, even remotely. But I have to be careful in how I use it. Comics can be buried from repeating the same material over and over. Dads run the same risk with their shtick. Thank goodness there are so many ways to go with gas. As the bride and the girls would probably tell you, I've got enough material on that to keep going and going.....

No comments: