Tuesday, May 17, 2005

good news, could've been worse.....

So the bride went to the doctor yesterday and had her foot x-rayed. No broken bones, but she did mess it up pretty bad. She's got a torn arterial ligament, and it will take about 4 weeks to heal. She's sporting a lovely lace-up thing on her foot for support.

I noticed something on last week's walk that is universal to everyone, no matter how old you are. Any time someone tells you to be quiet, it's almost impossible not to talk or think about something that you shouldn't think about that makes you laugh. On a couple of occasions, Mr. Parks designated certain portions of the walk as "silent walks." There was to be no talking so that the students could not only take in all of the natural beauty but also conserve their energy a bit. Within the first 2 minutes, one of the boys up front started laughing and had to sit out the first game of pin-dodgeball that night. I was back about 50 yards from this kid, and I noticed that the three goofball sisters (Amanda, Sara and Chloe) were walking together. For their own protection, I decided to get in between them to hopefully keep the same thing from happening to them. It was a good thing I did, because they were doing all they could to make each other laugh. One would act like they were tripping or sliding, the other would "accidentally" drop their water bottle. Thankfully, they made it through the silent part of the hike without getting in trouble.

I remember being in church once when I was about 13 and I couldn't stop laughing at someone sitting near me. It wasn't really all that funny, but I couldn't quit laughing. I stopped quickly when I saw Dad come down out of the choir and sit beside me. Yep, that was a real mood-killer right there. There's nothing quite like having everyone in church see your dad come down out of the choir and sit by you during the middle of the service.

No comments: