Tuesday, May 10, 2005

straw, meet camel's back.....

I won't get into details here, but I'm not the happiest person today. Yes, I have a beautiful family, my health, etc. But there are many components that make up our lives. When one of those elements goes bad, it can cause all kinds of unpleasant emotions.

Ever had one of those times where you and those around you have worked so hard to get things to a certain level, only to be knocked back down by one inane mistake? Yeah, that kind of mad.

Honestly, as mad as I am, it's been a controlled kind of anger. I didn't deal with the employee yesterday for two reasons: first, as mad as I was about the situation yesterday, I might have said or done things that would have been controlled more by my anger; second, I want to have all the facts laid out in front of me before addressing the problem, and that wasn't possible yesterday. As the day progresses, I should have everything spelled out, with all the ramifications that will come forth from the error. I like to make sure I have all my bases covered before going into a disciplinary meeting. And these days, with litigation being so prevalent, you have to have all your ducks in a row concerning employees. OK, I think I've used enough cliches for this paragraph.

People make mistakes. Shoot, I've made mine over the years. The art of good management is knowing how to properly separate the person from the act. I have to admit, I have a hard time doing that with anyone who isn't a relative or a close friend. However, there is a limit to that in business, and this careless mistake made the bell ring at the top of the pole.....

No comments: