Friday, June 13, 2008

way #42,356 to tell you're getting old.....

I ran into a young lady in the hallway on Friday that I hadn't seen in awhile. I remembered that she had a very cute baby and asked her how that baby was doing. Turns out she's almost 3 now. She asked about my daughters and here's how the conversation went:

"You have how many daughters?"

"I've got two that are just a little older than your daughter."

"How old are they now?"

"Well, Meg's the oldest and she just graduated."

"From....?"

"Centennial."

She gave me a blank look. So I said, "High school."

"Oh, oh, OK."

It was at that point that I realized she believed I was old enough to have a child who was old enough to have graduated from college. I tried to reason with myself, saying that maybe she thought we had one of those genius kids who finished college at the age of 12. Yeah, that's it! That's what she thought! No, nowhere close. Your paunch and balding head gave you away.

I went on to tell her about Sara. After that, I didn't feel like talking to her any more. I felt more like taking a nap.....

3 comments:

cac said...

If you think about it, it is only 4 years...so it isn't like she thought you were 10 or 20 years older...might help a little

wstaple said...

Yeah, I guess. But I automatically go from 43 to 47.....

cac said...

at least it didn't bump you up to the 50s