Thursday, June 26, 2008

questions, questions, questions.....

I called yesterday and closed a couple of credit cards that we no longer use.

The rep with Bank of America was pleasant, asked for my date of birth and the last four digits of my Social Security number, and closed out the account. Simple as that.

The call to Circuit City's credit department was much more detailed. I weaved my way through a maze of an automated menu system about 8 responses deep. When I did finally get a live person, the conversation went like this:

CC - Thank you for calling Circuit City, this is Phyllis. How could I help you?

Me - Yes, ma'am, I'd like to close my credit card.

CC - OK, let's see. Now, do you feel that your interest rate is too high? Because I'm authorized to lower your rate immediately.

Me - No, thank you. I don't use the card and would like to close it.

CC - OK, what about your credit line? Do you feel that it is too low? I can increase your credit limit for you right now if you'd like.

Me - No, thank you. I used it for one purchase, paid it off and now I'd like to close the card out.

CC - Alright, then, let me just get a little information from you.

She then proceeded to ask for my first name, last name, street address, city, state, zip code, home phone number, cell phone number, and Social Security number. After I gave her the final piece of information, I added this:

Me - And my blood type is A-positive.

CC - {dead silence for about 3 seconds} {followed by the biggest belly laugh I've ever heard from a telephone rep} Thank you, sir! Oh, my! Oh, my! Yes! {more deep belly laughing}

Me - No, I'm serious, my blood type is A-positive. What, you don't believe me?

CC - {even more laughing} I can't wait to tell my husband about this! You just made my day. Thank you, sir!

Me - You're welcome! Have you ever had this much fun closing someone's account?

CC - No, sir, I haven't! {stifled giggle} You have a lovely day!
I do what I can.....

No comments: