Sunday, July 31, 2005

on the road.....


We’re on our way to North Carolina. I’m in one of the middle seats in the van while Meg drives on I-840. The bride is quite nervous as the co-pilot, barking instructions such as “keep it at 70”, “eeeeaaaase over into the right lane” and “don’t worry about the motorcycle guys.” While trying to “guide” Meg back into her lane, the bride looked as if she was attempting to balance herself on a skateboard. Something about the way she was using her hands.

We’ve got about 475 miles to cover today, and Meg’s handling the first 45 or so. This is an odd feeling for me, riding rather than driving. It’s not all bad. I rather enjoy sitting here and typing. I could even go for watching a movie later, but I know that won’t happen. The bride is awake now, but once I take the wheel again it’ll be a different story. For the 18 years that I’ve known her, an interstate sign to her is like a sleeping pill for most people.

It’s nice to be able to look around and enjoy the scenery. Middle Tennessee is a beautiful place. I’m looking forward to seeing the mountains of NC this week, though. Someone asked me yesterday if I missed the mountains. Part of me does, but I’ve always felt that home is where your family is, not a particular plot of real estate. Not that I’d ever really be able to get my 3 girls out of Franklin, but if I did, wherever we went would be home for me. Billy Joel said it best in his song, “You’re My Home”: “wherever we’re together, that’s my home.”

So here’s to taking my “home” on the road for the week. Memories will be made this week, fun will be had by all.

No comments: