Thursday, July 14, 2005

monumental day.....

per-mit
function - noun
1: a written warrant or license granted by one having authority [a gun permit]
2: permission

Just after 10:00 yesterday morning, I saw Meg's cell phone number appear on my phone's screen. "Daddy, guess what???? I got my learner's permit! I only missed 3 on the test, and the people in front of me failed! I'm so excited!!!!! But I'm not driving now because it's raining really hard....." I said, "Well, I think it's best if you don't drive for a year or so anyway." To which she replied, "Yeah, right!!!!!" The bride later said that Meg smiled the whole day, just beaming from her new achievement.

Then last night after supper, I rode in the car with my daughter driving for the first time. Talk about your strange feelings! I rarely ride with anyone. Most times that I get in a car, I'm driving. So not only was I not driving, I was being driven by my 15-year-old daughter. Meg's training to this point has been administered by the bride's father. Ken is very patient and does very well with Meg. When we left last night, I told myself that I wouldn't raise my voice. I cautioned her on a couple of things, but I never raised my voice. All in all, she did very well. With time and experience, she'll be fine. I still can't believe I have a daughter who's old enough to drive.....

On a completely different subject, I had a hard time sleeping last night. And I'm sure every good Southern male had the same problem. Why, you ask? Excitement, my friend. We're all excited because.....HOCKEY IS BACK, EH!!!!!! (I think ESPN showed the highlights of hockey fans lining up to kiss Jeremy Roenick's posterior.) Add to that the fact that the Titan's top draft choice confirmed for us all that he's a punk, and you've got yourself one restless night.....

No comments: