Friday, July 29, 2005

for the birds.....

I don't know what it is, but we keep having bird problems at our house. They've flown into our garage several times over the past few months. The dog goes nuts chasing them and we have to contain him and get the bird out. (Meg said the reason we keep getting birds in the garage is because God wants us to have a bird. I disagreed. I've not trusted birds since I saw Hitchcock's movie as a child.)

Last night at 11:11 PM, I was asleep. I'd been asleep for about 40 minutes or so. I was awakened by the sound of our bedroom door opening. (I'm not the most coherent person when I'm awakened in the middle of the night. I'm sure if the house was on fire or if there was an emergency, I'd be able to function nicely solely on adrenaline.) As my eyes opened slightly, I could see the bride and Meg standing in the doorway. I vaguely remember them saying something about a bird being in the chimney. I lumbered into the den, feeling dizzy as I turned the corner. The sound was something between a bird and a sound effect from a video game. I went to the kitchen to get a flashlight, and of course the batteries were almost dead. The bride fetched a flashlight from upstairs, and we looked among the ceramic logs to make sure the bird hadn't fallen into the grate of the fireplace. When I summized that the bird was evidently laying/sitting on the door of the flue, I went back to bed - nothing I could do in my current state. As I lay in bed, wondering how we were going to get this bird out without it flying through the house, I couldn't go to sleep. When I got out of bed this morning, my body thought I was playing a cruel joke on it. No way did I just get any sleep. Stupid bird.

So if it's still there when I get home tonight, the bride and I will attempt to capture the bird and set it free outside. I just don't want the thing to die and start to decay.....

No comments: