Monday, October 25, 2004

wanted - used bp monitor

The bride's cousin asked her if I ever checked my blood pressure during UT football games. Valid question. I might learn that watching a close Tennessee game creates a higher reading that if I were to run a couple of miles. Interesting.....

I'm not sure why I get so demonstrative during Big Orange games. I wasn't always this way. I've always been a fan, but the yelling and screaming didn't come along until Peyton Manning came on the scene and winning ten games a season become a regular thing. I remember the bride banishing me to the workshop during the '98 Orange Bowl. Nebraska (the "N" on the helmet stands for Nowledge) was slaughtering UT, and I came unglued. They couldn't do anything right, and Nebraska could do no wrong. I'll admit, I got out of hand. But it was cold in that workshop in January. I think I got a cold. (sniff-sniff) Then they won it all in '98-'99, and it's almost become expected. I know, that's wrong, and I try not to think that way. But once you've had a taste of the success.....

So UT survived, I survived, and they go on to play South Carolina next weekend. My neighbor/friend, Chad the 'Bama fan, even came over and congratulated me on the win. (Like I had anything to do with it, but I'll take it.) I hope they come up with some new offensive schemes in the meantime. Maybe Randy Sanders will get creative this week; yeah, right......

The rest of the weekend was good. Softball season closed out, and we won both games in our double-header. Sara played first, and made all three put-outs (unassisted!) in the first inning. Meg and "that boy" had a good time at the homecoming dance Friday night. Beautiful day in Middle Tennessee yesterday! Upper 70's and sunny. A little warm for October, but I'll take days like that any time.

If you live in the Nashville area, be sure to come to PumpkinFest in Franklin on Saturday. They close all the downtown streets to automobile traffic and there are booths all over the place. Plenty of entertainment and food. It's got a great small-town atmosphere, and very family-friendly. Our church sponsors the kids' rides and games, and the event staff give us part of one street to set everything up. And because it's free, our street is usually the busiest. The bride and I will be working the mini-golf booth from 2:30 until 3:30, so stop by and visit for awhile if you can.

No comments: