Monday, October 18, 2004

book recommendation

The mere sight of this title should give the bride quite a chuckle. Her husband, who until 4 months ago wouldn't have dreamed of reading for pleasure, is now recommending books. So this is for your amusement, dear. Who knows, I may start my own book club like Oprah.....

(I should point out that I had actually read books prior to June this year. I've read all of Lewis Grizzard's books, but when he died I decided that my reading days were over. No, this wasn't done out of a sense of mourning. Just because I had yet to broaden my reading horizons.)

Anyway, I read a book this weekend titled Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. If you haven't read it already, I would suggest that you read it before Christmas. In fact, you need to read it before November 24, because the movie Christmas with The Kranks, based on the book, will be in theaters just in time for the holiday season. And it's rated PG, so the whole family can attend! I think we're going to go the afternoon of opening day. I look forward to seeing it. Plus, I've always heard people say things like "that's different from the book" or "I liked the book better" after a movie; this way, I'll be able to say similar intelligent-sounding things. I may even buy a smoking jacket and start smoking a pipe for the full effect.

Nice, relatively restful weekend. Got the trim painted in the garage. I've never been kicked by a mule, but I would imagine it would be quite painful. Having said that, I believe I'd rather be kicked by a mule than to paint. Especially when I think about painting the garage walls. I'm sure everyone else's garage is dead-bug-free and spider-web-free, but our garage is like a bug burial ground. I believe all the bugs on our cul-de-sac migrate towards our garage just before they take their final breath here on earth. They reach the threshold, see and smell our dog, Wally, then decide to retire there. They must believe that our garage is like Florida is to elderly humans. So the first thing I have to do is clean out the dead bugs and spider webs. I'll probably work on it a wall at a time.

The Vols improved to 5-1 Saturday night, beating Ole Miss 21-17. I had a first during the game - I actually threw my glasses. Ainge threw an interception, which was quickly returned for a touchdown. I took my glasses off, and I had the presence of mind to fold them and throw them into a pillow resting on a chair across the room. No damage done, just more amusement for my bride. She continued to read her book. To her credit, she's learned to "overlook" most of my conduct during UT games. Maybe "learned" isn't the right word, it's more like she's conditioned herself over the past 16+ years.

The Titans are in a world of hurt. Not looking good for the home team. We could be facing a few non-sell-outs, which could mean no televised broadcast for the Nashville area. That would be a first for us. The Titans have pretty much been winners since they moved to town. We're getting a taste of what so many other franchises have gone through over the years.

I'll close with something I heard from a speaker in chapel the other day:

"Exhortation without explanation leads to frustration."

Think of that the next time you have to discipline kids or an employee. It'll really make you think......

No comments: