Friday, October 15, 2004

only one way to do things.....not!

I'll admit that there are times when I can be narrow minded. (Just ask my teenaged daughter!) But over time I've learned that there's more than one way to do things.

Ever worked or existed around people who think there's only one way to do things? These people, I've seen them for years, can absolutely suck the creative juices out of their environment.

My internal-makeup is predominantly left-brain oriented - logical, sequential, analytical, rational, objective, looking at the small stuff. However, after taking several personality tests of the years, I've learned that I have quite a bit of creativity, I'm adept at macro-management skills, and I'm somewhat intuitive. This allows me to step back from the middle of the scrum and see things from a wider perspective.

I become frustrated when those around me "judge" others because of "poor choices" they've made. Just because someone does something different from how I would have done it doesn't necessarily make them a bad person. As far as I'm concerned, everyone is different, and everyone has different priorities. Think about how boring the world would be if everyone was left-brained! While I could never imagine a day-to-day life like the one Paul McCartney has lived, I can certainly appreciate how much he has added to the world through his music. Also, Paul McCartney would be bored out of his mind if he led a life like mine, but he understands that left-brained people like me have helped to help manage his success over the years. (No, I haven't talked to Paul personally about this, but I would imagine he's grateful for detail-people in his business. Besides, this ain't no documentary here, I'm just trying to prove a point.)

As I grow closer to the complete OF status, I'm very careful to keep my mind open to new ideas. With one teenager in the house, and another one warming up in the bullpen, I really don't have much of an option. It's either adapt or abscond.....and I have no intention of doing the latter. I gotta see how this kids turn out......

No comments: