Tuesday, October 26, 2004

ah, daughters.....

Typical soundtrack at the Stapleton household on any given night:

"Meg!!!!!"
"Sara, stop, ow!!!!!"
(stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp)
"Ow, Meg, stop!!!! Mom, she hit me!"
"She hit me first!!!!!"
"OK, what's going on up there?!?!?!"
And so it goes......

I never got all the details, but yesterday we lost a remote control and a cordless phone due to a couple of fights similar to this. Sara threw the remote at Meg yesterday morning and it broke. (Scooter told Meg that if she had stool still and let it hit her, the remote would still be working.) Then yesterday afternoon, for some reason, Sara threw a glass of water on Meg while Meg was (I think) on the phone. Now when we try to use it, it sounds like a vulture being castrated. Ah, daughters.....

There's 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 years between my two sisters and me. I used to do stuff to them all the time, so I know what it's like. I'd hide in their room before they went to bed, wait about 5 minutes and then just start talking to them. Blood-curdling screams would ensue, I'd run out of their room and duck into my room like nothing happened. Of course I always got caught, but most of the time it was worth it. There's almost 10 years between the bride and her brother, so I don't believe she ever went through any of these types of tussles growing up. But she's pretty calm about it most of the time. I'm usually not. I'm like Sergeant King from the movie No Time for Sergeants. I like my ocean/pond (home) to be calm with no waves. Smooth sailing.

But, alas, that's not always possible. At least for now it's not. But I can imagine that one day in the not-too-distant future, the house will be quiet and the bride and I will long for the noise once again. Until then, I'm thinking of buying a couple of referee shirts and whistles for us so that arbitration during the scraps will be a little more organized.....

No comments: