Wednesday, October 20, 2004

fire drills in inclement weather

Many of the people in our building are convinced that they guy in charge of fire drills likes to schedule them just for the heck of it. Like he's sitting in his office, looking out the window and laughing as he watches everyone stand in the rain, waiting for the "all clear" horn so that they can return to their dry offices. I play golf with this guy, so I may have to give him some grief next time out.

Isn't it amazing how the absence of one person in an office can change the attitude of an entire staff? Nuff said about that.

Our meeting with Mrs. Wood, Sara's teacher, went well. It turns out that she and Sara have a certain chemistry together. She made A/B honor roll for the first 9 weeks.

Meg's report card should be in tomorrow's mail. I hope she was able to keep her averages up for the last 4 weeks of the term. Her mind's on homecoming and the dance this Friday night. She looks beautiful in her dress!

Had a restful evening yesterday. The bride and I did a 2-mile walk, then I was able to read (John Grisham's The Summons) and watch the ALCS game. Game 7 is tonight, and it should be a good one.
Saw Scooter today. He took one of my golf clubs and had a friend put a new shaft in it for me, and he actually delivered it to my office this morning. He's one of these guys who buys things because they're great deals. Don't get me wrong, I love him like a brother and he's one of my best friends, but it's hilarious. He showed me two nice golf shirts, probably worth $50 each. He got them at Ross for $0.99 each. The catch? They're XXL's, and he's a large or maybe an XL with a few shirts. But he couldn't turn down the deal. He's been a huge help to us over the years in buying cars. Because of his contacts with some local dealers, I've been able to get great deals on cars. That's just the way he is, he'd do anything he could for his friends. Friends like that are great to have.

It's been a pretty busy day here in the office. Tomorrow should be another busy one. Beats digging ditches, though. I'm very blessed to be in my current job. Is this where I retire? Maybe, maybe not. I'm leaning more towards "not", but it could go either way. But for now, I look to stay here for at least a little while longer.....

No comments: