Wednesday, October 06, 2004

fast food upselling

Is it just me, or is it getting more difficult to order a meal in a fast food restaurant?

The bride and I met for lunch at Captain D's in Brentwood. She went to the rest room (mark one more off the list) while I stood in line to order.

"Welcome to Captain D's, will this be dine in or carry out?"

"Dine in, please."

"What can I get for you?"

"I'd like a number w...."

(Into the microphone) "Fish and fries!"

"...but I'd like green beans instead of fr...."

"Make 'dat green beans instead of fries. Small, medium, or large drink?"

"Doesn't it come with a drink?"

"Yes, small."

"Then that's what size I'd l...."

"Would you like to add a piece of fish, shrimp or chicken to your order?"

"No, thank y...."

"A piece of key lime pie, cheese cake or chocolate cake?"

"No, thank y...."

"Anything else?"

"Yes, I need a number f....."

"Fish and chicken! What size drink?"

And so we repeat the whole process again.

I understand that they're trying to move me through the line, hence the origin of the term "fast food." And I know that the employees are trained to up-sell the heck out of everything. But when you combine the two, it can be quite annoying.

I will have to admit that the lady behind the register could probably make more money in a profession that required mind-reading because as you probably noticed, I didn't even have to complete my sentences. She knew EXACTLY what I wanted! Hmmmmm.....she must have teenagers at home.....

No comments: