Thursday, August 31, 2006

top 5 songs i'm almost embarrassed to say i like.....

E! Network started running a show this week called "101 Guiltiest Guilty Pleasures". I don't know what all of them are, but #101 was Patrick Swayze. If you're old enough to remember him as a sex symbol, you might be considered old now.

So I'm sitting here doing some writing for work, and from iTunes Classic Hits Radio comes a song that I haven't heard in probably 5 years or longer. It made my top 5 at #2. Here they are:

5. B.J. Thomas - Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song

I don't know what there is about this song, but once I hear it I just can't stop listening. For some reason, I've always like B.J. Thomas' singing voice.

4. The Carpenters - Rainy Days and Mondays

The second chorus says it all: Walkin' around, Some kind of lonely clown, Rainy Days and Mondays always get me down. (The Carpenters' "Top of the World" would have made this list 25 years ago.)

3. aha - Take on Me

For 1981, this video was the most creative of its time. I remember listening to it over and over at Myrtle Beach that summer.

2. Starbuck - Moonlight Feels Right

Blue Oyster Cult's record producer Bruce Dickinson's fever might have been cured only by a prescription of more cowbell, but where else besides halftime at a high school football game are you going to get a xylophone solo????? Pure genius!

1. Al Stewart - Year of the Cat

Maybe it's the piano, maybe it's the melody, I don't know. But I burned a 70's mix CD the other day and this song was the first one that came to mind.

What? You were expecting "You Light Up My Life"? Uh, no. You must have me confused with my lovely bride.....

No comments: