Wednesday, August 23, 2006

is this going to be on the test?


The bride and I attended Freedom Intermediate's open house Monday night. About half-way through 4th period history class, she leaned over towards me and said "I'm so glad I don't have to go through school again."

The more I thought about her statement, the more confusing it became to me. My wife did very well in school. She graduated from college Cum Laude. I'm convinced that her GPA would have been much better had I not come into her life 15 months before graduation. I think I was a distraction. I'm not bragging, I'm just sayin'. Anyway, I always figured that people who did well in school pretty much liked school. Now let's take a look at the flip side.

I didn't like school at all. I did OK, but could have done better. I actually had two goals when I went into my freshman year of college - play lots of intramural sports and graduate in 4 years. I did both, just not much else. I did just enough to get by unless the subject interested me, then I cared about how I did. If one were to look at my report cards from college, one would summize that not many subjects interested me. Did my diploma say Cum Laude? Not quite. Uh, how 'bout Laudy How Come? It wasn't until I met the bride that things changed for me and I started caring about what I did and how I did it. Funny how I was a distraction to her and she was a motivator for me.

We did make it through open house and the limited schedule of 10-minute classes. All of Sara's teachers seemed very nice. Her homeroom teacher could be a young stunt-double for Don Cheadle. We did do something that was reminiscent of my college career - we skipped the related arts class and hung out in the hall talking to other parents. Someone started a nasty rumor that we went out back behind the gym and smoked and made out during this period, but that was completely unfounded.....

No comments: