Monday, August 07, 2006

named him after a man of the cloth.....


I listen to iTunes radio during the day in my office. It's commercial-free (mostly) and has around 30 different genres from which to choose. I usually listen to Classic Hits Radio's classic rock station. They play songs from artitsts like Billy Joel, U2, Stevie Wonder, etc.

The other day I was working on a spreadsheet and I recognized a song that I hadn't heard in over 30 years. It was "Amos Moses" by Jerry Reed. I used to LOVE that song! They'd play it over and over on WKIN in Kingsport. Although I used to think one of the lines went, "He hunted alligator for a livin'; he'd just knock them in the head with a skunk" when the actual word was "stump" instead of "skunk". I always thought maybe the impact of a dead skunk, when combined with its potent smell, would be more effective in killing alligators. Hey, what did I know, I was a 10-year-old East Tennessee kid. I ain't never seen no alligators. How am I supposed to know how to whack an oversized lizard?

My question is this - How did "Amos Moses" make it onto Classic Hits Radio's playlist? I mean, I like the song and all, but does it really deserve to be there? How do they justify putting "Amos Moses" in between "Living for the City" and "Taking it to the Streets"?

If "Amos Moses" makes it to Classic Hits Radio, I guess "The Streak" can't be too far behind.....

No comments: