Wednesday, July 26, 2006

you're one of my favorite people.....



So I'm waiting to ride an elevator up a few floors in the building one day last week. The door opens, the arrow lights up red, indicating that this elevator is going down. A couple of other guys that I've been talking with while waiting step into through the doors to descend. Another gentleman gets out and I say something like "Hey, Fred, how's it going?"

He smiles and says, "Hey, man, you're one of my favorite people. How you doing, Bill?"

Bill.

He calls me Bill.

I'm one of his favorite people and he calls me Bill.

A strange, panicked look spread over his face. I smiled and tried my best to stifle a laugh, which I did mostly but not entirely, and his face turned bright red.

"Bill? Why did I say Bill????? I'm so sorry!" He comes over and puts his arm on my shoulder.

I back up, put my arms up in the air and say, "Dude, just step off, 'k? Look, you can't even remember my name, and then you get all gay and everything and start groping me? I'm sorry, B, but that's just not how I roll! Now, step off, a'ite?"

OK, I'll admit, the last pargraph will completely made up. It's just there to embarrass my 16-year-old daughter. She doesn't like when I use slang like that, so I do it as often as I can.

I told "Fred", after he stumbled and stammered while getting my correct name out, that it was OK. I'm sure he had alot on his mind, it was an honest mistake and it wasn't that big of a deal. I told him that if that was the worst thing that happened to either of us that day, we'd be able to look back and say we'd had a good day. He apologized again and went on his way.

I got on the elevator and waited for the doors to shut before I laughed out loud.....

No comments: