Tuesday, July 18, 2006

too outta' shape to read.....

Yesterday started off as one of those days I wished I'd just stayed in bed. Out of all the things that "went wrong" in the first 90 minutes I was awake, the one that would weigh most heavily on the events of my day was when I realized I'd forgotten my security badge for work. I NEVER do that! But I'd left it in my car last night and forgot to get it before the guy I carpool with picked me up for work.

See, I work in a building that's interconnected to several other buildings. All the same place, but still you need to have your security badge to get to parts of the complex. Without the security badge, you're a caged animal. And you have to wear the colored badge of shame for the day. And I've been told that those not wearing some kind of badge are subject to cavity searches. (I've never actually seen this happen, but a story like that's gotta' be true!)

By lunchtime, I had to get out of the building. I'd originally told myself I'd just stay in and grab something from the cafeteria rather than face the heat of downtown Nashville at lunch. But I just had to get out. I decided to compromise - walk to Subway, eat a sandwich, then head to the Nashville Library. That way I could get outside for a little while, then duck inside to climate-controlled conditions for a little reading.

There's a spot in the Nashville Library that I like to sit and read. It's on the 3rd floor overlooking the courtyard. On milder days, it's a popular spot for moms to bring their kids for a picnic lunch. There are several Japanese maples surrounding the fountain. It's very pretty, and a nice backdrop for reading. The only problem is that it's on the 3rd floor. That means there are about 66 steps to climb to reach my desired destination. That's alot of steps for someone who's out of shape.

I started running before vacation, but I've yet to get back into the routine again. The first week of running and non-snacking, I lost 3 pounds. It all came back (and then some) during vacation. It's not a matter of not having the desire or ability to run, it's been more of a time thing. That plus the fact that the bride is convinced I'll die while running if the temperature's above 85. That's not to say I'm blaming her for me not running, because I usually do just the opposite of what she says I should do. In this case, it's actually been too hot even for me. The bride and I did get out and walk around 8:30 last night on the golf course Sunday night. It was much cooler on the fairways than the neighborhood streets.

I think I need to find the elevator in the library.....

No comments: