Thursday, July 20, 2006

and i said, what about breakfast at tiffany's.....

The bride had bunco Tuesday night. I'll spare you the sob story about how she came home with her hands smelling of dice and what not. With Sara at camp, that left Meg and me at home alone. I asked if she had any plans and she said she didn't. I asked if she'd like to watch "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with me and she agreed. I recorded the movie from AMC a couple of months ago because I'd always wanted to watch it. (I recorded and watched "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" last month and really enjoyed it.)

At the risk of offending anyone reading this who loved "Breakfast at Tiffany's", I'll have to say that it wasn't one of my favorite movies. And I wasn't alone. Meg felt the same way, so it's not just a "guy thing". And, yes, I understood the overall story - true love is better than having things. It just wasn't one of my favorites. However, since it's considered an American classic, I am glad that I took the time to watch it.

Now, considering that this movie came out in 1961, it was probably a breakout kind of movie. I've been told that Henry Mancini's music was one of the reasons it was so popular. I remember Mom and Dad had the soundtrack when I was growing up. I didn't get "Moon River" at the time.

Here's what I took away from the movie:

* Audrey Hepburn was beautiful, that's a given. (I always thought she was weird looking on the album cover when I was younger. Funny how time changes one's taste.)

* Mickey Rooney's character, Mr. Yunioshi, would be considered politically incorrect today.

* I couldn't watch Buddy Epson without hearing "whee, doggy" in the back of my mind.

* Paul "Fred" Varjak and Col. John "Hannibal" Smith were very different characters for George Peppard.

I've got "The Graduate" on the DVR and plan to watch it soon. I've heard the slow guy from "Rain Man" is in that one.....

No comments: