Wednesday, April 26, 2006

slaughtering the english language.....


Maybe I'm too picky but sometimes it amazes me how uneducated people can sound. Especially those who claim to be professionals. And it's not just the misuse of written words (its vs. it's, there/their/they're, etc.), but also of the spoken word.

I know someone who even MAKES UP words in conversations. For example, "Yeah, that's just how they conscrued it." I know this person meant to use the work "construe", but I can't get their made-up word out of my mind. The word "blurb" becomes "blurp." Is "blurp" a belch that is to be praised or advertised? And one of my favorites is "stabability" instead of "stability." These words and so many others make me cringe.

I don't claim to be a genius. (Just ask my parents about my grades in college.) But people tend to judge you by the way you speak. And sounding half-way intelligent ain't all that hard.....

No comments: