Wednesday, April 12, 2006

queen for a day.....

When I first heard that the American Idol contestants were going to be doing Queen songs for the week, I thought the show would be terrible. During the week I listened to alot of their music on-line and I had forgotten how much I actually loved Queen growing up. (I even owned the Queen album "News of the World" that I kept hidden from Mom and Dad because they were so controversial. Now, you kids, don't try this at home.) There's even a Queen tribute album that was done recently with songs covered by artists like Josh Kelley, Gavin DeGraw and Joss Stone. It's excellent.

So here's my review on last night:

Bucky - I actually liked it, even though he wasn't on key the whole time. It was entertaining. However, he could be in the bottom 3 tonight.

Ace - Vocals were weak, but the band's arrangement was excellent. I thought it was funny during his rehearsal with Queen that he made a suggestion on the song arrangement and Brian May said, "No, we're not going to do it like that." Bottom 3 tonight.

Kellie - Surprised me when I heard she was doing Bohemian Rhapsody, then surprised me even more when she did a decent job on it. When the song started, maybe it was the lighting and camera angle but she reminded me of Garth from Wayne's World.

Chris - I don't think he likes me because he's always screaming at me. Huh? Oh, it's not just me, he does that to everyone? OK, my bad.

Katharine - I love her voice, but I didn't think she sounded as good as the judges thought. Seemed to crack when she went for the higher notes. She should have gone with "Pressure" as covered by Joss Stone. Much better for her.

Elliott - Though some people might mistake him for an Amish farmer named Hezekiah, this boy can flat dab "sang". Great job!

Taylor - He's baaaa-aaaack! Best performance of the night, hands down. Missing the mic stand was funny, but he didn't let it bother him. The ending? Can I getta' "wooooooooooo!"? Oh, and Simon's comment at the end was completely uncalled for.

Paris - The voice was superb, but the 90's version Janet Jackson look was pretty bad. Couple that with a song most people had never heard before last night and it could spell trouble. Might be in the bottom 3.

My prediction is that Ace rocked us for the last time last evening. Sorry, Meg.....

No comments: