Monday, April 17, 2006

i knew this would happen one day.....


It took almost 18 years, but I always knew this day would come. Frankly I'm surprised that it took this long to happen. The bride left me.

Actually she got an opportunity to go to Naples, Florida and spend the week with her parents so she took advantage of it. I took her to the airport earlier today, and I'll pick her up late Friday afternoon.

I did have something funny, er unsettling, happen while at the airport. I helped check the bride in and she learned that she had one too many bags to check. When I travel I usually check two bags and carry one, mainly because I don't want to carry any more than that when I go from the terminal to the rental car place. But because I don't dedicate one full bag to hair care products, I guess I'm different. So she finds out she's going to have to carry three items - a cosmetic case, her purse and some kind of flight bag that someone named Maude or Blanche would take with them to Naples. (Did I just say that?) I kissed her goodbye and headed for short term parking. On the way out, I heard over the loudspeaker that each passenger could take only 2 items on board. I went back to the line formed for those going through security and asked if she needed me to take anything back with me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone approaching, then I heard, "Sir, please step back!" I waved, apologized, then took a few steps back. "SIR, ALL THE WAY BACK!!!!!" Suddenly I felt very much like a suspected terrorist. He should have asked himself - How many terrorists wear dress khakis, pinpoint blue oxfords and Cole Hahn shoes? Like I always tell my employees, just ask the next question and it will do you a world of good. But I realize he was simply doing his job. Unfortunately that's the world we now live in.

So I'll be playing "Mr. Mom" this week. Fixing lunches, getting the girls ready for school and stuff like that. I think I can handle it.

I think the bride's most difficult chore this week will be either shopping or going out to eat. She deserves some down-time. I'm really glad she can do this. And as long as she doesn't know the girls are eating brownies for breakfast, we'll all have a good week.....

No comments: