Wednesday, April 19, 2006

a cast of one.....

The bride called me from Naples yesterday. At first I thought it was to gloat. She said, "You'll never guess what I'm doing!" I thought of so many things, but for some odd reason said "Uh, parasailing?" to which she replied, "Nope, I'm in the emergency room."

(Let me stop and say that this sounds like something I'd say over the phone just for fun. This is NOT something my dear, sweet bride would say.....or WOULD HAVE SAID 20 years ago. Guess I've grown on her.)

She was actually in the emergency room because her mother had broken her ankle. She and her parents had gone sight-seeing at Marco Island and had decided to stop at Burger King for some coffee. Since the parking lot was crowded, Ken offered to drop Hattie and the bride off at the door. The bride, sitting in the front seat, got out and closed her door. Hattie, in the back seat, was about half way out. Ken thought everyone was out and went to park. Hattie fell out of the car as he pulled forward and broke her ankle in the process.

She'll have a fiberglas splint on for the next few days until the swelling goes down, then they'll put a cast on it this Friday. They're supposed to come home on Sunday (the bride will be coming home on Friday), so I don't know if they'll have to alter their schedule or not at this point.

Here's to quick healing for Hattie.....

No comments: