Friday, April 07, 2006

inadequate.....


I love being a dad. There's no better feeling in the world than to hear "I love you" from one of our daughters, or than to get a hug when I come in from work. But there are times that I feel ill-equipped to handle the moments when they're hurting.

I remember when they were babies. There were times when they'd be crying but they couldn't tell us what was hurting. I used to think, "If they could just talk to us, it would be so much easier." I've found that their ability to talk about it doesn't necessarily make it any easier for me to make things better.

I'm a fixer by nature. If someone tells me their problem, I try to fix it. One thing I've learned being in a house full of females is that they don't always want the problem fixed by me. First, they probably wouldn't like the way I'd fix it. Second, they really are just venting and wanting someone to listen. It's important to note that while I have this knowledge, I don't always remember to use it.

So what do I do? I guess all I can do is try to do for them those things that make me happy when they do it for me - hug them and tell them that I love them. Oh, and listen rather than attempt to fix.....

No comments: