Tuesday, September 06, 2005

long weekend and stuff that happened.....

Long weekends make it difficult to come back to work. Especially since the weather was so perfect here, AND college football's season started.

We watched Centennial get its first win of the season Friday night, as they beat Independence 28-6. The bride kept saying something like "it's a perfect night for football", and the rest of us repeated that line several times over the weekend.

Saturday was a busy day, and one that was a bit scary at times. First, the Vols. Yes, they won, but they scared me to death. Should have been a 35-7 game, but they couldn't get things going after their first two series. So alot of things will have to improve to beat both Florida and LSU on the road. The second scary thing was the near-miss with my car.

I got up Saturday and washed both cars before the UT game started. After the game, I was going to wax my car. When I went to move my car into the garage so it would cool off, I noticed that the battery sounded a little weak. I came in and told the bride that I'd probably need to replace the battery pretty soon. After waxing my car, I got in it to move it back into the driveway. Dead as a doornail. So I decide to go inside and get the bride to steer while I push my car out of the garage. I go to put it in neutral, and I cut my wheels so that they'll be straight. Just a habit that I have, but a habit that turned out to be very valuable. I went inside to get the bride, and she said she'd be right down. While I was inside, I heard Wally barking and muttured "dumb dog, shut up!" I go back to the garage to wait for her, and the garage was empty. My car was nowhere to be seen. I looked out in the driveway, and Wally is sniffing around my car like there's something wrong. There was something wrong! It had rolled out into the driveway on its own, because I put it in neutral and didn't have the emergency brake on! The bride comes out and I said, "Is there something missing here?" She finally realized what had happened, and we both went out to survey the situation. My car had rolled out of the garage, onto the driveway, narrowly missing the bride's van. It had come to a stop on the edge of the grass. I kept thinking about the possible damage that could have occurred had I not cut the wheels straight. As Amy Grant's song says, angels watching over me..... Oh, and I did get the battery replaced Sunday afternoon at Sears.

There were about 8 families at church Sunday morning during the second service who were from either Mississippi or Louisiana. These people either knew they'd lost just about everything, or were unsure about their homes. Made me realize just how bleseed we are as a family. We all went through our closets this weekend and gathered clothes that we weren't using any more. I think we ended up with about 5-6 large bags of clothes.

Tried to do some grout work in the master bath, and something went wrong with the mixing of the grout. Worked on it for 30 minutes and gave up. I'll have to try it again in a couple of weeks.

We watched "Mr. 3000" and "Finding Neverland" this weekend. Both were good, but I liked "Neverland" better. Johnny Depp is an incredible actor. And the young kids in the movie were very good. The boy who played the role of Peter also played the part of Charlie in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

Got the yard mowed yesterday morning, then we spent a couple of hours at the pool. Only two more weekends for the pool this year, then it'll be closed until the end of May next year. Summer is gone.

Working on trying to set up car pooling with some guys here at work. Even if I can cut my gas costs in half, that would be a big savings. I guess I'm the average American, I like the independence my car affords me. Like my dad always said, nothing's free, there's a cost to everything. Saving money on gas will cost me a little independence, but it's something that has to happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog :)

Please check this interesting sites too:

Internet Home Business Tips - Make Money From Home!

dating profile