Wednesday, March 30, 2005

the worst part of waking up.....

I once had a job that I hated the thought of waking up and going to every morning. I went through that for 7 months, thankfully not longer. I've been in my current job for over 5 years now, and while there are times I'd rather stay in bed, I really enjoy what I do.

There are people in life who, regardless of what good happens to them, are miserable. Nothing is ever right or good enough for them. "You won over $57 million in the lottery? That's great!" "Yeah, but think of all the taxes I'm going to have to pay....." These people have their own mascot - Eeyore, from Winnie the Pooh.

I remember talking with a former boss about an an employee's attitude problem, and during the conversation he said that the 8-9 hours that some people spend at work is the best part of their day. That conversation stuck with me, because I know people like that. (We used to joke about taking our employees on an all-expenses-paid trip to Hawaii, and saying that there would still be some who griped about it being too windy. Yeah, those kind of people.)

For the most part, people are who the are because of their environment. Their personality deveolped at an early age, and those who come into contact with them during their lifetimes just have to deal with it. And they usually deal with them by avoiding the person.

Can Eeyores turn into, oh, I don't know, Tiggers? Maybe, maybe not. Eeyores are like anyone else - they can only change if they want to change. No one can do it for them. If they're looking for someone or something else to make their life better, they're looking in the wrong direction. You have to start from within, and that might be part of the problem. I've got a feeling that most Eeyores don't particularly like themselves, which might relate to why they don't have alot of friends. A great Eeyore line? "One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday."

As much as I like my job, I can't imagine that being my source of happiness. Dealing with an Eeyore or two at work along the way makes me appreciate my life even more. It's not perfect, but neither am I. But don't tell the bride, she doesn't know that yet.....

No comments: