Thursday, March 24, 2005

the rules have changed.....

When I was growing up, one of my favorite snacks at night was buttered toast. Don't know why, it just was. Sometimes I would eat four or six pieces at a single sitting. If I did that now, I'd gain four to six pounds at a single sitting. I never had any kind of weight problem, either. My metabolism was high, so whatever I ate would be burned up almost instantly.

I've heard it said that God has a sense of humor, and I think that's true with weight loss. What used to work for me in losing weight no longer works because our bodies change as we get older. When fat-free pototo chips came out, I ate them for snack at night instead of regular chips, and I lost weight. Five years later, that didn't work any more. Three years ago I went on a low-carb diet and dropped 28 pounds. Now the low-carb thing doesn't work nearly as well as it used to. Now I'm wondering what new set of rules I'll need to adhere to in order to lose some poundage.

I'm afraid it's time for me to face the facts - even though I think 40 is still a young age, things are changing for me. And they change for everyone around this age. The bride and I were discussing this just last night. Seems that no matter what we do, it's not enough. Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm not starving myself, but that's not always the best diet routine anyway. I excercise by running and walking a few times a week. I'd rather do it daily, but sometimes the schedule won't allow this to happen.

I've come up with a new idea for the bride and me to lose weight - we're going to take up smoking! Sure, it's a disgusting habit, we'll have decreased lung capacity, and our house will smell like a bar on Saint Patricks Day, but we're going to give it a shot. Now I have to find those big, long filter tip things that women used to use back in the 60's when they smoked. The bride thinks she'd look much cooler holding one of those while she smokes.....

No comments: