Wednesday, February 09, 2005

wonder if this is wrong.....

Seems that any time you have to ask yourself this question, you already know the answer. Sort of like I've always told employees: if you have to ask me whether or not an outfit is appropriate to wear to work, it's probably not.

So I'm in a meeting yesterday, and a former boss made a comment to the speaker during a question/answer session. The comment had something to do with an opening at my former workplace, and my former boss kiddingly offered the speaker the job. The speaker said, "Oh, yeah, *******, I'd want to work for you.....day....after day.....after day....after day...." The whole crowd roared, and I was right in there with them.

This former boss of mine is not very well liked in our industry. I have to say that without my experience there, I wouldn't be where I am today, so I am very grateful for the training I received there over the years. However, my former boss and I didn't always see eye-to-eye. I didn't have a problem with it, because that's just normal in business, but this person didn't see things that way. This person is old-school when it comes to management technique. If things went well, the boss wanted the credit; if things went bad, it was everyone else's fault. I guess that's one of the most important things I learned NOT to do here at my current position. I always tell my employees that I don't care who scores the touchdown, as long as we get it over the goal line.

Looking back, it probably wasn't that big of a deal for me to enjoy a laugh at this person's expense. I didn't personally attack the person, nor did I initiate the laugh. Man, was it funny, though.....

No comments: