Wednesday, September 01, 2004

doors

What is the purpose of a door? To keep things out? To keep things in? If you've ever watched any scary movies, there's always something frightening behind those doors. On Let's Make A Deal, there are chances to win great (or terrible) prizes.

We walk through physical doors every day without any regard for them. Some are nuisances, although necessary. Sometimes I'll stop long enough to look admire the structure of a particular door. To me, a front door can make or break a house aesthetically. Sometimes a door will have sidelites that allow one from the outside to peer in and check out what's on the inside. Doors often have a peephole that permits those inside to view outside without opening the door.

Another definition for the word "door" is "a means of access or participation", as in reference to an opportunity. Honda has an ad on TV now where "Mr. Opportunity" is knocking, offering you a great deal on a lease for an Accord. (Yeah, I'd like to flush $2k down the toilet up front and have nothing to show for it 3 years later. Oh, and can you add some extra mileage fees on the back end? Thanks ever so much!) Opportunity will often knock; it's up to us to consider the rewards and/or consequences. At times you make keenly accurate assessments; other times you don't.

I closed one such door today. I thought I closed it when the same opportunity was offered almost a year ago, but it came back. While the opportunity would have been a great fit for me, after much consideration all the pieces just weren't going to fit.

Looking back, I'm confident that I made the right decision. This isn't the last opportunity I'll ever have to use my skills and abilities elsewhere. And I firmly believe that this isn't my final sbusiness address. But for now, I believe I'm right where I need to be. And it's good to know that regardless of my choice of employment, Susie's right there with me.

2 comments:

cac said...

I've also pondered the issue of doors before :) Which came first the room or the door? For can a room be a room if there is no door? was the door invented as a way to leave or a way to enter? ~Perpetual Single

wstaple said...

And if a door opens, but no one is around to see that it's open, is it actually open?