Wednesday, September 08, 2004

things change

I had planned to write about open house at Centennial HS last night. About how strange it felt walking through high school halls again. The teachers seemed nice, the building was great, all that stuff.

But this morning I saw a clip of the twin towers in NYC being destroyed on September 11, 2001. My attitude changed immediately. My internal posture went from normal to pure anger. Every time I see that video footage, I get furious. And what's even more frustrating is the fact that these kinds of nuts are still out there causing people all over the world all kinds of grief. The recent events at the middle school in Russia comes to mind.

It's hard to believe how our outlooks have changed over the past three years. It's also hard to believe that it will have been three years this Saturday. We'll all pretty much go about our lives that day. There will be soccer and softball games played, college football games watched. But do yourself and others a favor on Saturday - stop and remember the lives lost, not only on that day three years ago, but also those lost since then because of terrorism. Think about the families left behind. Pray for our troops around the world defending our freedom.

I sometimes have a hard time dealing with things over which I have no control. That's part of my personality. Things change, that's just life, and I understand that. I can deal with things like changing a blog topic, because I made that decision to do so. For the big things in life (well, really for everything), I guess it all boils down to faith.....faith in Someone Else other than me. I'm glad I can have that kind of faith, because without it I'm not sure how I'd handle things these days and times.

No comments: