Friday, September 24, 2004

i'm trying, i swear.....

People. You can't live with them, you can't ball your fist up and slug them in the mouth without some kind of retribution. I guess I'm just a picky person. I feel like I'm pretty easy to get along with, but every now and then I'll run into someone with whom I just don't gel. I try to give them the old "benefit of the doubt", but for some reason that runs out on some people faster than it does others.

Then sometimes I wonder if people feel the same way about me, and it's very possible. (Except when it comes to Susie; I know she LOVES everything that I do in her presence!) I've told people before that I was blessed with the tongue of a smart-alec, and I use my gift quite often. Sometimes it goes over well, other times it can bomb. When that happens, I understand how a stand-up comic must feel when they tank.

Then I take it to another level and wonder how thin God's patience runs with me. Thankfully, there's that thing called grace.....and it actually is amazing.

In chapel this morning, I was able to understand any problems I might have aren't that big. Three representatives from local non-profits talked about things they do to make life better for those less fortunate. From helping a disabled single mother with four teenagers (3 with physical/mental issues), to helping disabled children and young adults, they're involved on a daily basis with challenges I'll probably never deal with. The word grateful doesn't start to describe how I feel. Grateful for a healthy family, my job, and all the many other things that mean so much.

So next time I get frustrated with someone, I'll try my best to remember those people I saw this morning. Surely that would bring things into their proper perspective.....

No comments: