Wednesday, August 04, 2004

the times, they are a'changing.....

I remember, not too long ago, that Susie and I were one of the couples with small kids. At church, you could always tell the difference between the couples with small kids and the couples with older, school-aged children. Maybe "they" always seemed a little more on edge, more worried about things, I'm not sure. I mean, what could they possibly have to worry about? I think I'm beginning to understand how they felt.

Meg went to Centennial High School today to get her locker assignment and class schedule for the year. She's a little nervous about starting high school. Then there's Susie, who picked Meg up from Cougar Camp a couple of weeks ago and saw some of the summer school students. She said they looked like adults, and the thought of our first baby mingling with adult-looking-people was a bit unsettling to her.

We've been blessed with two beautiful, intelligent daughters. And we've "brought them up" in a way that we hope will help them make wise choices. Is that always going to happen? Of course not. Do I want them to make only good choices? Sure, but I was once a teenager and a college student, and I know that all the great parenting in the world doesn't take away free will. All we can do from here is pray and keep reinforcing the kind of values we want our kids to have.

So if you see us and we look worried, things are cool. We're just busy being the parents of a teenage girl.....with another one warming up in the bullpen.....

No comments: