Monday, August 16, 2004

very nice weekend

It's the middle of August, and we've just experienced about 2 straight weeks of high temperatures in the upper 70's, with night-time lows in the low 50's. It just doesn't get much better than this.

The weekend was full of errands and dinners at other peoples' houses. Got my hair cut at a new place on Saturday, and it's so short that I can't part it and brush it like normal. What's the old saying, necessity is the mother of invention? Well, out of necessity, I'm getting out of the shower, putting a little gel on my hands, running my hands through all 1/2" length of my hair, and leaving it alone to dry. It's a new look, albeit a temporary one, and Sara's calling me "dude".

Both girls started back to school. Meg survived her first 1/2 day of high school. She hooked up with a sophomore friend who walked her from class to class. By the end of the week, she'll be fine. Since Sara's teacher looped from 3rd to 4th grade, she won't have any getting-to-know-you time. Susie and I had a brief prayer time with them last night before they went to bed, and it was very special. I'm very proud of both our daughters and the young ladies they are becoming. I know they're not perfect, and they're going to mess up, but I think they've both got their heads squarely on their shoulders, and I believe they'll make good decisions.

I talked to an old friend earlier today who'd expecting his third child this week. Robert's three years younger than me, and he'll have children ages 4, 2 and 0 all at once. I told him that I'm an old man compared to him, being 40 and having a daughter in high school. He said, "Yeah, but that just gives you and Susie more time alone together sooner." He's right, and I can't think of anyone else I'd rather being alone together with......

No comments: