Friday, August 20, 2004

yelling isn't necessary

I heard a story this morning about a 10-year-old boy. Matt came home from school and said, "Mom, I had the best day of my life today! Jenni finally talked to me!" When I first heard this, I thought he had a crush on the little girl. Later in the story, it was revealed that Jenni was a selctive mute. Evidently this is a complex childhold anxiety disorder in which children are so uneasy in social settings that they "lose the ability" to speak. Jenni hadn't spoken to anyone in over two years, but that day she looked at Matt and whispered, "You're my best friend!"

Ever notice that God speaks alot in whispers? I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have Him be more obvious about things sometimes. Show up in front of me, part some water, make it snow on a 95 degree day. But that isn't always the way it happens. You have to be paying attention to hear Him.

Try this - the next time someone you love needs to tell you something, just start walking and try to listen to them at the same time. It doesn't work that way, does it? After you get the dirty look from them, go close and listen. You can hear them better, huh? Sometimes I get so busy doing "things" that I don't take the time to slow down and listen to the things God has to tell me.

When there specific needs in my life, I find myself trying to be more attentive my surroundings. You never know how God will speak, but you have to be ready. It could be through something you hear on the radio, or through a friend (or even someone you don't necessarily like) or loved one. The key is to be tuned in.....with ears that really hear.....I'll have to learn how to do that on a consisten basis someday.....

No comments: